Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Joyful Poinsettia

The joy of learning watercolor techniques. ha ha  Good morning. I have yet again a creation trying to figure out this water coloring using pencils. Also wanted to create another card for the Dirty Dozen January challenge, so I was able to use my new little Joy die from TE for the corner.


This card is combining two ways of water coloring. After the Poinsettia was stamped onto the cardstock I colored all of the bloom with the colored pencils. I then used the water and brush to blend all the colors. After it was dry, I saw on a few videos to use the pencils directly onto the brush and then paint it onto the flower. You can see some of the darker places that I tried this effect.

The green leaves are suppose to look like an actual flowering poinsettia. Yea I know... not so much but I tried.Here is the deal, I like how this turned out. Maybe it is the darker color with the added brush to penciled parts but over all not to bad I would say. Maybe getting better? There is sparkle on a few parts to help cover some of the messy part.  :-)  Voila. Have a fabulous day!


4 comments:

Lisa Lara said...

Absolutely stunning Stace. I love the beautifully colored flowers with the designer paper.

Leslie Miller said...

Gorgeous, Stacy! It's true what they say -- "practice makes perfect" -- 'cause you're getting better and better! Love how you did the leaves. Very realistic. Remember Watercolor Wonder Crayons? I still have some, and the only way I like to use them is to pick up color from the crayon with the brush. They're too fat-tipped otherwise. Haven't used them in ages, but you're making me want to get them out again. Cute joy die and, of course, love this beautiful poinsettia stamp.

Traci M said...

You've got some good variation of red and greens...and your overall card is really pretty and so festive with the red "Joy" die!! A joyous card, Stacy!! Must play along again in your Christmas challenge...so much fun!

CherylQuilts said...

Sweet Tracy, this is GORGEOUS! We have a big poinsettia plant in our front courtyard, and just before Christmas, we start seeing the leaves that are the petals slowly turning red. And they do look much like what you've colored. The red starts inside the "petals, and it's so cool to see the so-called leaves become poinsettia petals. Beautifully done, my friend, and Leslie is right...we all need lots of practice. And I love this DP you've used and the beautiful stitched die and gems. And I also love the sweet "joy" die. Warm hugs, sweet friend! xoxo