Wednesday, March 7, 2012

What is a *Fan*

Today is D-day in the football world or atleast that is the way it feels. It is official today that Peyton Manning is leaving the Indianapolis Colts football team. For you non football fans out there you won't get this post and will probably skip over it and I can get that. However I am a fan of football from every aspect of the game. I get excited and sad all in one weekend sometimes. ha! Last night my DH showed me the links of non official but official if you will leaks on Manning making it official. Honestly I actually did cry a little. Now hear me out, not that I am a complete dork here. I was sad and like with most things I take to heart all things I love and adore. So for me this was actually very sad news. Manning is a wonderful player, but he is also a wonderful person of character. Do I know him personally, no. Can I gleam from what he says to people in interviews on and off camera. Can I gleam from what his friends and family say about him as a person and his actions speak louder than words, yes. In this regard I feel as if yes I know a bit about him. I see his struggles on the field and I see his dedication to make changes to see the cheers when things are positive.
This lead to the question my DH was asking me all along in the "Will he return and will you still be a Colts fan is he leaves" question. I knew full heartly that he was coming back, and I thought it would be with the Colts. Turns out I was wrong, which leads me to a very hard decision. Will I stay a Colts Fan. This lead into why did I become a Colts fan to begin with. I mean I live across the map for crying out loud, I have never even been to Indy. HA! A little back ground for those of you still reading :0) In middle school and a bit of high school I was a Chicago Bears fan (not a word Dawn hee hee) and I loved the Bears. Walter Peyton was awesome and Coach Ditka was so cool. When Walter Peyton retired on his last game and they lost I was done with football. Mostly because I think I got into boys and being a teen. Anyways, over the years I watched some football mostly the Super Bowl and barely kept up with that team had who etc. I was a girl after all. ha In my 20's I started to get back into watching more football and taking an interest again in the teams. When DH and I found out we were having twins I was excited. To find out it was boys that sealed the deal. I knew I had to find the team I wanted to support and cheer again because when they are older they will want a mom who knows football. This is coming from my DH mom who thinks they have bases in FB. I did not want to be *that* mom ya know.
I thought no way I could do Seahawks, they just have not had the best of years even if I am from their home state. I just couldn't do it. Basically it boiled down to I want a team that has intergrity and something I can say with head held high they are a good example for the boys as a team and people. Not saying they are perfect, but a good example. I won't even go into the non good example teams out there. So Tony Dungy came to be the Colts coach in 2002. Now if you know anything about him he is a man of intergrity and honor. Perfect! Didn't hurt that the Colts had Manning, he is awesome.
After a little bit more thought, I chose the Colts. Some think this is odd and what is this crazy girl thinking but I picked and they were my team. What a team they have been over the years. I have grown to appreciate the game and the time and energy they put into this game for my entertainment. My break from the world for a few hours to just sit and (enjoy) most of the time on Sunday's. Learned that you can be in the spotlight and have honor and really show that not all players are alike as a team and individuals.
Now all the babbling as you are thinking has got you to wonder why post this? Well because DH got me to thinking a lot about if I am going to stay a Colts fan or will I pull a shared loved for teams as DS has done. One of the twins is a huge Green bay Fan but also a Brett Farve fan. So he had divided team love when he retired. Ofcourse he has grown to embrace Rodgers like a mad man. DH wonders will I embrace this same fate as him or stick to being a true Colts Fan. I am not sure I can embrace this Luck fellow right now. It is nothing against him, I have not a clue about the guy. What about the others that I like so much Clark? Saturday? Wayne? Vineterri? Addai the list goes on. So right now I am in limbo and watching all the news media doesn't help any. The only thing you might really giggle at is my other DS said "well he might come to Seattle (which is his team) and they could use a quality player as Manning" How sweet is that? I leave you with this if anyone is still reading, I love the game regardless! It is good to have a passion about something even if its not stamping! ;0) I hope you have a great day!


7 comments:

Marisa said...

Oh my....hadn't heard. He has had a tough year for sure. Will be interesting to find out where he ends up. When I was at Western in WA I was a Seahawks fan - Zorn and Largent and Easley :) Many a Sunday in the dorm TV lounge. Then it was Dallas as a power house and Marino's magic. Love to watch a dedicated and talented player bring what he can to a team. So I guess I'm in your hubby's camp. Let us know what you decide :)

Dee in N.H. said...

Well, I for one feel your pain! I'm in New England so of course a Pats fan, but Manning is awesome and I do appreciate a real player amongst all the egos. What a tough choice you have. I'll be curious as to what you decide.

Michelle Woerner said...

I thought about you when I heard this. Yeah, I shed a tear when Montana went to the Chiefs. That was a very sad day for the 49ers. By that time I was very happy with Steve Young, but just to see Joe with a jersey on other than the 49ers just broke my heart. Well, we'll see what your team has in store for itself. Hugs to you during this transition!

P.S. I can't stand the SeaChickens either! LOL!

Lisa Lara said...

I was a big Bears fan around 85 Stace. Even had the superbowl shuffle vhs video. Hee. Sorry about Manning. He is an awesome player. One of integrity. Wow...what if he did come to Seattle? That would be awesome. I still have hope for Seattle!

Theresa said...

I've been watching the news and I can't believe that the Colts are letting him go. I just saw his press release and I wanted to cry with him. I hear that it's possible that my fav team - the Broncos will probably be talking to him. I love Peyton!!

Dawn B. said...

I for one am NOT a Colts fan but I am really disappointed that he gave them so many great years and now that he isn't 100% they let him go. I guess as far as teams go I am a die hard Bears fan. Always have been, always will be. I don't care if they win or lose being in Chicago and living the ups and downs of the Bears is like none other. Of course it would be great if they were a winning team but that is few and far between. I too look for integrity in a player. I have little patience for attitude in a football player. Peyton will be a hard act to follow and I hope the Seahawks pick him up. I just hope that his health is good enough and he isn't risking that to play. He has so much class. Now on to the fact that I never knew you were a Bears fan.. hmmmm you been holding out on me all this time. I new you had blue blood going through your veins. LOL.

Angel said...

i JUST saw a clip of his speech a minute ago! what a shame. i've always been a Saints fan, regardless of who was leading the team. even with all of the stuff with Sean Payton going on right now, i'll still love my Saints. i haven't followed the details, but i don't know that i see a problem with what people say (not even sure if they've admitted to it!?) they've done - getting $$ for certain hits, etc. It's FOOTBALL. they're getting paid to HIT people. there was never an intent to seriously harm anyone just MAKE THE PLAYS. at least, that's what i get out of it. anyway, HUGS to you!!!!